Thursday, September 3, 2009

A Run along the Rhine (and more)

The next morning I woke up early to go for a run along the Rhine River. To get there, I had to run past some bums sitting under a bridge who yelled something at me in German. That was the first time I felt happy to not know German! It was good running weather: cloudy and cool. Along the river trail, I passed tons of bikers ommuting to work, and the occasional runner clad in spandex shorts and always wearing a short sleeve shirt and never a tank top. I, of course being the American that I am, wore a tank top and shorts. Maybe I was just imagining it, but I think I got some wierd looks! I hadn't gotten the memo of proper German running attire :) I got back to the house sweaty and thirsty, and after a shower we all had a huge breakfast together of the most amazing croissants with nutella, furit, yogurt, and coffee. Then, Tess, Laura and I set out to find a tattoo parlor where Tess could get a flower tattoo on her hip (she wanted to do it in Germany for the significance of being in her (other) home country). But it took us hours to find the place! When we finally climbed up the narrow staircase to the parlor, the woman behind the counter said that there was a waiting list until MARCH! She said that, in the past year, everyone in Bonn had been coming in asking for a tattoo. What's funny is that when I was walking around Germany, I noticed a ton of people with tattoos! Sadly, Tess will have to wait until next time she goes to Germany- and make an appointment way in advance!

In the evening, we went out for spagetti ice with Chip and Claudia at a place along the sidewalk where there was a play structure for Luisa. As Claudia played with Luisa, we talked to Chip about what it's like to live in Germany. He said it's amazing how seemingly small choices or decisons we make in our lives can often turn out to play a huge role in determining our futures. Laura asked him if he was happy he moved to Germany, and he shrugged his shoulders in a way that meant the question was irrelevent, unanswerable. For Chip, moving to Germany at 25 led him to meet Claudia and fall in love, so staying was the obvious choice. I. "I do sometimes wonder what my life would be like if I had stayed in the States, " said Chip. But it's obvious he is very happy with his life. It got me thinking about my own life, about the defining moments and decisions that have already made me who I am, as well as those to come. There are so many "what-ifs" in life- a billion opportunities that we must daily choose from. At the same time, I don't believe that anything I've experienced in my life has been the result of happenstance. I know tehre is a purpose and plan for my life that is still unfolding. So even the seemingly small things like a little comment spoken to a friend, or what I write at this moment, or even my daily thoughts and dreams which appear to be only miniscule threads in my life are very much a part of who I am and who I will become. Just as Chip's life is rooted in Germany and full of love and joy with his family, my life is a constant Journey of thinking, feeling, loving, singing, praying, running, laughing, and exploring. Although I coul imagine my life being different- or better-or worse- it is what it is. And it is REAL. To me, that is far better than any what-ifs and daydreams for that reason.

No comments:

Post a Comment